Thursday 16 September 2010

About A Girl


About a girl is a nine minute short film, directed by Brian Percival in 2001. The short was written by Julie Rutterford who found her inspiration for the script from children and her experiences with children. It was produced by Janey De Nordwall and has won several awards including a Bafta for Best British Short at the Edinburgh international film festival. Since 2001 Pericval has gone on to direct Much A’do About Nothing, The Ruby In The Smoke and The Old Curiosity, his worked is now more focused in the television series industry. About a girl in known for its shocking twist of an ending which can lead to multi interpretations of the text. The main themes and issues raised in the short are teenage pregnancy, social deprivation, domestic violence, disenfranchised youth and ambition.
The film is shot in a documentary way with the main characters eye line at us the audience, which suggests the girl is quite confident in relation to her ego. However this technique can create different senses for example, the girl needs someone to talk like a stranger which we the audience are and this creates the idea of counselling. Its confessional yet we feel the need she needs someone to talk to through the use of close up shots that create a sense of intimacy.
The film starts in silence and the screen is black. The sound of mobile texting comes on as do the letters in a text and spells out the name of the film. The text technique has connotations of youth as in today’s society new technologies are associated with the younger generation. The first shot is wide, the lighting is dark with a low tone colour pallet which indicates to us the time of day; sunset. It only has the girl in the frame, which represents her as vulnerable. She is singing ‘Stronger’ by Britney Spears. The lyrics in the song are quite inspirational for the young girl in the film as well as being significant to the plot, for example ‘stronger than yesterday, now its nothing but my way’.
As the girl tells us her story through character codes; regional dialect we can tell that she is from Manchester, the northern part of England. The large city backgrounds suggest that the film is located in the greater pat of Manchester, where poverty and social deprivation are commonplace. The girl speaks rapidly throughout the film also which can lead to a number of emotions that she may be feeling, for example panic or excitement. In addition to this the use of jump cuts could be a representation of her thought process,
Through mise-en-scene, and in particular costume we can easily relate the girl to a lower class background as her clothes look grubby, to big for her and clashing in colour. Furthermore the dullness of the colours could a deeper representation on how she feels inside.
Another issue that is raised in this short is neglect, which has also appeared in many of the other short films that I have analysed. Specifically in this film it’s the conversation between the girl and her dad. She asks if she can live with him in which he replies “It’ll be too much of a hassle”. When then see her dad playing football with his mates and leaving his daughter outside the pub on her own whilst he has a good time inside, we can tell this through the diegetic sounds of cheers which connotate happiness.
The quick shots of the girls on the bus see the protagonist singing Opps I did it again. I feel that these lyrics lead to the shock that is upon us. However through lyrical psychology I think the director has let us specifically hear her sing these words which helps us work out what has been going on through out the film.
The tracking shot follows the girl walking down next to the canal. Her last line is “I’ve become dead good at hiding things from her since then” and we see her through a carrier bag into the water. We then question ourselves as to what is in the bag as through close up we see it begin to unravel and float away. Then through extreme close up it is revealed to be an unborn baby. I think that the director specifically chose to use the style of shot for this was to shock us. We see the girl walk away and the film ends. We are then left with the question as the audience, was the baby hers? And if it wasn’t then that would lead to a totally different interpretation altogether. I think the lyrics ‘Opps I did it again’ suggest that this hasn’t happened before and fits well with what she says about becoming good at hiding things from her mum. Also throughout the film she always wears an oversized coat, was she hiding her baby bump?
About a girl is my favourite short film, I love that no matter how many times I watch it always shocks me and how they have represented teenage pregnancy in a negative way as of recent it is becoming a major issue in society with figures rising, representing it negatively I feel is the way forward to create some form of prevention.
.

4 comments:

  1. Loved the analysis! I watched this short film a couple of years ago and I feel the same as you. It shocks me every time! The only thing that frustrates me is the fact that I speak spanish and the girl´s accent is quite difficult for me to follow (honestly, I had no idea what she said in the end unitl I read your post LOL), BUT, on the other hand, even though I couldn´t understand almost anything the first time, the editing pace, the visuals and the overall feeling was enough for me to enjoy it, which is a clear example of how film can be a language by itself. Anyways. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In 2019 I was shown this short film during a school English lesson, because it was the end of term. I recall being confused by her accent and the fast pace, yet still thoroughly enjoying the shock of the ending.
    Since a young age, I feel it's important to say I've felt this latent infatuation for the city of Manchester, despite never having been there. I was born and raised in North-West London, quite a different place entirely.
    One day however, my Father's ex girlfriend and her daughter - who both lived in Manchester at the time - took me and my family on an outing when I was maybe 7 or 8. Her daughter was maybe 9 or 10 at the time, we shared a mutual interest in the Tinkerbell movies and I completely admired her, to the point where I would beg my parents to take me on a trip to Manchester to visit her. They never did.
    Fast forward to 2021, and I fall madly in love with The Smiths, a famous indie band from the 1980s who - as you might know - are very much from Manchester, and come from a strongly working-class background. My latent interest in the city is likely part of the breeding ground for my intense obsession.
    The Smiths have this one song called "This Night has Opened my Eyes", which opens with the verses 🎵In a river the colour of lead / immerse the baby's head / wrap her up in the news of the world / dump her on a doorstep girl🎵. The song is very ambiguous, just like this short film is. Perhaps the line about immersing the baby's head refers to an "unofficial" baptism of a child too shameful to be taken to a real church. Or perhaps it refers to an infanticidal drowning. This short film was already at the back of my mind the first time I listened to that song, but after a couple more listens I finally made the connection consciously, which encouraged me to really give the film another watch. The thing about art is that it's extremely subjective. Every single memory you have and every single neuron in your subconcious brain is the jury of whether you appreciate it or not. The Smiths in the back of my mind, I fell in love again with this short film's ambiguous storytelling, and it's very true-to-life portrayal of the 13 year old protagonist.
    Thank you so much for sharing this analysis! As somebody who barely watches films, and knows very little about how to analyse them, this has opened my eyes to some important details that I might have missed! I can see that this was written around 12 years ago but maybe you'll stumble across my comment some day. I send you my warmest wishes!

    ReplyDelete